Like many others, I find that it’s a struggle to provide my family with a freshly prepared meal every night of the week. A frozen pizza or a simple bowl of pasta seems like an easy way to feed ourselves, but for me, doing it five nights a week is a cop out. Plus, I really do believe that eating well is essential to keeping a positive outlook on life. As regular feature of this blog, I am going to list my weekly menu of dinners and the recipe if it’s something out of the ordinary.
For December 12-17 here’s what I plan on cooking and serving:
America’s Test Kitchen Chicken Cacciatore
- 4 pounds of bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 ounces of portabella mushrooms caps, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) cans of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (2-inch piece of Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 teaspoons minces fresh sage
Pat chicken dry and salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven heat two teaspoons of oil until smoking. Add half of the chicken and brown chicken on both sides (about 10 minutes). Remove chicken and place on a place. Add two more teaspoons of oil and repeat with remaining chicken.
Pour out any remaining chicken fat and add remaining oil and heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms, onions and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Sauté until mushrooms are brown, approximately 10 minutes.
Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant 15 seconds. Stir in flour. Wisk in wine, scraping up any brown bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes, broth, and Parmesan rind. Nestle chicken; simmer along with any juice, into the pot.
Cover and simmer – one hour.
Transfer chicken to serving platter and cover wit foil. Discard cheese rind an stir sage into sauce. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce thickens.
Meatless Mexican Tacos
- Box of Lifestyle meatless grinds
- One packet of Old el Paso taco spice
- One box of Zatarain’s Spanish Rice
- One can of Rodelle’s tomatoes and chili’s
- One can of black beans
- One onion – diced
- One cup of mushrooms- diced
- One tablespoon of garlic powder
- Two tablespoons of vinegar
- One teaspoon of cumin
- One package of Whole Grain taco shells or low fat Mission fajita sized tortilla wraps
- Reduced fat Mexican cheese blend – ½ cup
- Salsa, sour cream, guacamole
Make the Spanish rice according to the directions. In a two quart pot, add beans, cumin, garlic, vinegar and one cup of water. Simmer over a low flame stir occasionally.
In a stainless steel skillet, heat 2 tablespoons until shimmering, sauté onion and mushrooms until golden brown. In a large skillet, combine meatless grinds and taco seasonings and 2/3 of a cup of water. Heat grinds for 10 minutes over medium to low flame until grinds soften.
Heat tortilla’s or taco shells according to directions. Assemble taco with rice, beans, grinds and selected accouterments.
Homemade sliders with French fries
Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad